Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition characterized by patches of red, thick, scaly, patches of dry skin on the knees, elbows, abdomen, and scalp. The flare-ups tend to occur in cycles, causing discomfort and embarrassment for people who suffer from this condition.
Our board-certified Washington DC psoriasis experts are skilled at treating and managing this chronic skin condition to help calm your symptoms and enable you to live more comfortably.
What Causes Psoriasis?
The cause of psoriasis is unknown, but it is understood that the immune system and genetic predisposition are factors that can cause psoriasis to develop. It can be triggered by environmental factors as well as genetic factors.
Types of Psoriasis
There are several common types of psoriasis, including:
- Plaque psoriasis: thick, raised patcheswith dry, silver-looking scales on the skin
- Pustular psoriasis: painful or itchy blisters that can appear on the feet and hands
- Guttate psoriasis: small, raised reddish bumps on the skin
- Inverse psoriasis: smooth, red, raw-looking patches on the skin folds such as the armpits and genitals
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: burned-looking skin patches that may be combined with fever and chills, severe itch, and rapid pulse
- Sebopsoriasis: redness and flaking of the scalp that overlaps with seborrheic dermatitis
Psoriasis Treatment in Washington, D.C.
Our board-certified dermatologists will perform a thorough examination in order to properly diagnose the type of psoriasis you have and will prescribe the appropriate treatment to help manage your symptoms to improve your comfort. Treatment of psoriasis is tailored to the individual patient and can include topical medicines, oral medicines, and even injectable biologic medicines.
Schedule a Skin Care Consultation Today!
If you are suffering from psoriasis, please schedule your consultation with the board-certified dermatologists at MI Skin Dermatology Center in Washington, DC today. Request a consultation[/link] or call (202) 393-7546 today to speak with a skincare expert.
About Our Doctors
Dr. Melda Isaac and Dr. Daniel Yanes are consistently recognized among the top dermatologists in Washington, DC. Our board-certified dermatologists provide both medical and cosmetic dermatology services with professionalism and compassion. Their specialized expertise in injectables and an eye for creating natural-looking results have made them a sought-after source for excellent dermatological care.