Enlarged pores are a common complaint among the men and women who visit MI Skin Dermatology Clinic in Washington, DC. Large pores are not easily treated by over-the-counter treatments, so it is important to seek the help of a board-certified dermatologist to address your skin concerns and advise on the best treatment to improve your skin’s appearance.
What are pores?
Everyone’s skin is covered in pores, no matter your age or gender. Pores are the openings of hair follicles on your skin that allow your body to release oil to moisturize skin or release sweat to cool the body. They are necessary for maintaining healthy skin, but sometimes pores can get enlarged and clogged with oil, causing unsightly skin issues.
Often, your genetics determine the size of your pores, but other factors can affect the size of your pores and allow them to get clogged with oil, dead skin, dirt, or bacteria, which leads to acne.
While it is not possible to change the size of your pores, it is possible to minimize their appearance to make them less noticeable and help keep them from getting clogged.
Treatments for large pores
There are several options for treating enlarged pores and the other dermatologic issues that go along with them, like acne. During your consultation with your provider, they will assess your skin and provide a recommendation for the best treatment options to minimize the appearance of large pores and help you look and feel your best.
Microneedling is a noninvasive treatment designed to create microchannels in the skin, stimulating your skin’s natural healing process to generate collagen and improve skin’s appearance.
Dr. Isaac and Dr. Yanes offer traditional microneedling, using the Collagen PIN. This device includes a series of tiny needles that are moved over the skin to create microchannels in the skin. These punctures then encourage the skin’s healing process to kick in, revealing healthier looking skin over the course of a few weeks.
We also offer Genius RF microneedling, which uses a microneedling device to penetrate the skin in combination with radiofrequency (RF) technology to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin, resulting in more dramatic results.
Another treatment for enlarged pores is microdermabrasion. Dr. Isaac and Dr. Yanes use the Dermasweep device to “sweep” away dead skin cells to uncover brighter, fresher looking skin. It is designed to avoid irritating the skin while removing dead skin cells to help reduce pore size and prevent pores from clogging.
Dermasweep microdermabrasion treatments can be combined with infusions of topical solutions to improve the appearance of skin, treat skin conditions, and reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. Dr. Isaac and Dr. Yanes offer several infusion options to moisturize, cleanse, and brighten your skin to make you look your best from the inside out.
For more dramatic skin resurfacing treatments, Dr. Isaac and Dr. Yanes offer laser treatments to reduce the appearance of large pores.
- Excel V Laser: This laser is designed to resurface the skin using 3 treatment settings designed for different skin types and needs. With a built-in cooling mechanism, this laser is safe for patients with low pain tolerance.
- Genesis Laser: This gentle laser helps remove the layer of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, revealing fresher, younger-looking skin.
- PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT): This laser uses different wavelengths of light to treat varying skin conditions. The light is used to kill bacteria, reduce oil production, and reduce the size of pores on the face and chest.
- Opus Plasma: This skin treatment uses radiofrequency (RF) and plasma energy resurface and tighten skin on the face, neck, and chest.
- Tixel®: This fractional device uses thermal energy to tighten skin without burning the outer layer of skin. Tixel stimulates the body’s healing process to generate new collagen and tighten skin.
Chemical Peels are designed to remove the top layers of dead skin, helping to reveal softer, smoother, younger-looking skin. Depending on your needs, our providers offer a variety of chemical peels that work at varying depths to reduce pore size and improve skin’s appearance.
The least-invasive treatment for addressing large pores, Facials are designed to combine the power of dermatologist-grade skincare products with aesthetic treatments to improve skin’s appearance and reveal fresher looking skin.