There’s a reason dermal fillers have become one of the most trusted treatments in the world of cosmetic dermatology (many reasons, actually). As a board-certified dermatologist and dermal fillers specialist in Washington, DC, I know just how effective and remarkable these treatments are. These innovative injectables play a central role in my practice of helping people look like the best versions of themselves. From convenience to affordability to versatility, they have no shortage of benefits to offer.
I’m not alone in my love for dermal fillers. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ statistics, 3.4 million people received filler treatments in 2020, making it the second most popular minimally invasive treatment in the U.S.
Why have so many people fallen in love with fillers? Read on to learn more about fillers and their many benefits.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable substances that add volume beneath the skin to smooth lines and folds or enhance facial contours. At my practice, I select from a broad menu of FDA-approved fillers, including:
- Bellafill®: Bellafill contains microspheres made of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), which serve as a scaffolding for collagen production.
- BELOTERO®: Made primarily of hyaluronic acid, BELOTERO works best for small lines, tear troughs, and acne scars.
- JUVÉDERM® Family: This family of hyaluronic acid fillers contains products specially formulated for smile lines, lips, cheeks, and more.
- RADIESSE®: RADIESSE’s CaHA (calcium hydroxylapatite) microspheres stimulate ongoing collagen production.
- Restylane® Family: Like JUVÉDERM, this line of hyaluronic acid fillers contains specialized formulations for different areas of the face.
- RHA Family: Resilient hyaluronic acid (RHA) fillers closely mimic the natural substances in your skin and adapt well to dynamic facial movements.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic: Not technically a filler, Sculptra contains poly-L-lactic acid to boost collagen production to fill out hollow areas in the hands, face, and body over a period of a few weeks to months.
The right filler for you depends on the area you’re looking to treat, the amount of volume you would like to add, and other factors unique to you. We will work together during your consultation to select the perfect filler for your anatomy and goals.
The Cosmetic Benefits of Dermal Fillers
What can dermal fillers do for your appearance? Whether you are looking to combat signs of aging or subtly enhance your natural look, fillers offer customizable and versatile results.
Dermal fillers are widely used to treat lines and wrinkles, such as:
- Lip lines: These may include vertical “smoker’s lines” around the lips or lines on the lips themselves. Fillers add volume, define the edges of your lips, and minimize wrinkling.
- Marionette lines: Fillers smooth away these lines that run from the outer corners of your mouth down to your chin.
- Nasolabial folds: Also called “parentheses,” these lines appear around the outer corners of your mouth when you smile. Some filler formulations are specifically designed to smooth these away.
Fillers aren’t the right approach for every type of line, however. Some wrinkles, such as crow’s feet, forehead lines, and frown lines, are better treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic. Many people combine both approaches to address multiple signs of aging within the same appointment. Learn more about which option may be right for you in this blog post.
In addition to treating wrinkles, fillers also treat several contouring concerns, including:
- Aging hands: Fillers disguise veins, tendons, and wrinkles in the hands to give them a younger and fuller look.
- Disproportional chins: A “weak” chin may bring imbalance to your facial features. Thicker fillers that mimic bone structure define and enhance the chin without surgery.
- Undefined jaw lines: Some people naturally lack jaw definition, and with age, the jaw angle can become softened. Fillers can be used to add structure to this area.
- Flat cheeks: One of the most common signs of aging, flat cheeks are quickly and effectively treated with JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® and other formulations specifically designed for the cheeks.
- Nasal humps and other nose concerns: In many cases, fillers serve as an alternative to rhinoplasty. Called a “nonsurgical nose job,” this approach works for people with asymmetry, crookedness, dips in the bridge of the nose, and more.
- Tear troughs: Fill in hollows or smooth puffy bags under your eyes to create a more rested and awake look.
- Thin lips: Some people naturally have thin lips, while others experience thinning as they age. Fillers add plumpness to create a fuller and more youthful appearance.
With the right amount of volume added to the right places, you will never appear overfilled or “worked on.” The goal is to get you looking like the most refreshed, youthful, and elevated version of yourself—never to make you look different or create any obvious signs you’ve had a treatment done at all.
Fillers Are Convenient
In addition to numerous cosmetic benefits, dermal fillers also offer the advantage of being quick and easy and requiring little to no downtime.
The treatment itself only takes a few minutes and involves only topical anesthesia to keep you comfortable. After your treatment, you’ll be free to return to your usual routine right away.
You will likely only experience some mild swelling and bruising for a few days, most of which you can disguise with makeup. That means no hiding away or missing out on your obligations to recover. Many people have their treatments done during their lunch break, with coworkers being none the wiser.
Fillers Are Affordable
One more benefit fillers have to offer: They are more affordable than cosmetic surgery and, in many cases, offer comparable results. You no longer have to invest in plastic surgery to enjoy youthful facial contours, rejuvenated eyes, a straighter nose, and more.
Fillers are priced per syringe, so you pay only for the volume you need. Pricing varies for each product. After assessing your face and discussing your goals during a consultation, I will provide you with a personalized cost estimate so you know exactly what to expect.
Are Dermal Fillers Right for You?
If you think dermal fillers may be right for you, it’s worth consulting with a board-certified dermatologist to learn more about what is possible. To see examples of the kinds of results you can achieve, take a look at my before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to meet with a Washington, DC, dermatologist to learn more about the best treatment approach for you, please contact me online or call my office at (202) 393-7546. I look forward to hearing from you.